Ingredients per every 1kg of meat
- 2 medium Onions (finely chopped)
- 6 cloves Garlic (pounded to pulp in pestle and mortar)
- Thumb size fresh Ginger (pounded with garlic into a paste)
- 5 medium Tomatoes (skinned and finely diced)
- 3 medium Potatoes (peeled and diced into small cubes)
- Cubed meat – Leg of Lamb and Chump Chops in equal proportions
- 1 stick of Cinnamon Bark
- 1 Tbls Osmans Extra Special Chilli Powder
- 1 Tbls Osmans Extra Special Curry Powder Medium
- 1 Tbls Osmans Extra Special Mutton Masala
- 1 Tbls Osmans Extra Special Garum Masala
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper – 2 to 3 grinds
- 5 fresh whole Curry Leaves
- 1 handful of fresh Coriander (Dhania or Cilantro) leaves, coarsely chopped
- 100 ml Sunflower Oil
- Place wide based saucepan on high heat. Add onions and cinnamon stick to hot oil. Allow to wilt until onions are golden brown. Stir regularly.
- Remove pan from heat. Add chilli powder, curry powder, mutton masala and turmeric powder. Return pan to heat and stir vigorously. Do not allow spices to burn or stick. Remove from heat intermittently if necessary. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add meat cubes to the onion and spice mixture. Turn to coat all the meat and then return to high heat for a short while.
- Add garlic and ginger paste along with garum masala and mix in thoroughly.
- Add chopped tomatoes and turn down heat to low to allow the curry to simmer slowly.
- Add Salt and pepper along with diced potatoes. Simmer slowly with the lid on for 30 minutes.
- Add curry leaves and simmer for another 30 minutes or so. Check regularly and stir frequently.
- When cooked potatoes will be soft and starting to break down and tomatoes should have virtually disappeared. Turn off stove but leave pan on the heated plate. Add chopped coriander and leave wilt.
- Best eaten the next day. If you can wait that long!!! Enjoy.
- Prepare all ingredients before commencing with cooking.
- Never add water.