EASY STEP-BY-STEP CARE:
The mark of a good, well-manicured garden is an emerald green lawn framing the flower beds. Spring is the time to start with a solid lawn care programme to ensure optimum results through the rest of the growing season.
- Scarify to remove matted or dead grass (thatch) on deep rooted grasses like kikuyu and cynoden.
- Aerate with spiked roller or garden fork if the soil is hard.
- Apply lawn dressing to level out hollows and depressions on the surface.
- Fertilise with 2:3:2 general purpose garden fertiliser.
- Apply lime in areas with acid soil conditions.
- Water immediately after fertilising.
- Continue fertiliser application regularly through the growing season at 4 to 6 week intervals. Use 3:2:1 slow release nitrogen at this stage.
- Mow regularly. Never cut off more than one third of the length of a leaf blade at any one time.
- Treat broad leaf weeds with a selective herbicide.